Decisions, decisions

My fascination with slope-shouldered sweaters is not new. I have been checking them out for several years – at least I’m pretty sure I have – since I found the beginnings of one in a bag I haven’t looked in for quite a while.

There it was, all the instructions written up in a little book too. Obviously a more than normally organized time in my life.

This is done in the contiguous manner: increase 2 stitches on each shoulder on every row. I used a Kf/b (knit into front and back of the same stitch) and Pb/f (purl into back and then front of the same stitch) as my increases for the right side and the wrong side rows.

This first sweater has several problems.

  1. When you join it up in the round to work the body wider, will working the Kf/b on every round look the same as the previous increases?

2. The broken rib pattern begins at the front edge when worked in rows. That makes the beginning of the round in the centre front when I joined it up. Oops. The pattern won’t match exactly on either side of the centre front. Argh.

3. I’m not sure working the I-cord for the neck edging was so smart. Again joining in the centre to work in the round is problematic.

OK, that’s enough trashing of my poor prototype sweater.

Now, onto what to do with it.

  1. I could continue to work it to my size, knowing it has several problems. Hmm, why not? No one knows but me, oh and all of you, of course.
  2. I could rip it back to the width of my shoulders and make it a vest. It could have a scoop neckline then instead of the V. It still has problems but …
  3. I could, of course, rip it all out. Ouch.

Do you have any thoughts? Right now I’m just taking it out of it’s bag and looking at it. Maybe it has some thoughts?!

Cheers, Deb

Any Gauge and Gauge-Free patterns by Deb

Deb.Gemmell on instagram

CenterPointPopover

Happy long weekend. I hope you are enjoying some knitting. I have been busy knitting the vest version of the Centerpointpopover by mamasteddybear. I’m going to show you my progress. My vest doesn’t look nearly as neat and tidy as the pattern photo below but that’s life as a knitter.

I’m very interested in these sloped shoulder top down knits that I keep seeing. So I thought I would start with a small project just to see how it looked on me. This one was terrific fun to knit. It starts with the Front which looks like this:

Then the Back begins:

Here the back of neck is the correct width and the stitches are put on spare yarn. Now the front and back get attached at the shoulders and the shoulder shaping begins. From here it looks like a knitting blob and is not worth photographing. You know how that goes, right? You just have to keep the faith that it will turn into something.

Body shaping is done and one sleeve worked and it’s clear that it is a garment.

This is the true colour of the popover. I don’t know why my phone insists that it might be blue.

Now I have the other sleeve done and a short bit for the body length.

I haven’t bound off the bottom edge yet because I would like it to be longer. I washed and blocked it with 2 circular needles still holding the bottom edge open.

I gained 3″ in length from the blocking. Yay. Just what I wanted. It’s drying now. I have to finish the neck edge and cast off the bottom and then we’ll see. I’m going to go do something else now. Standing and watching it dry does not seem to be moving things along any faster.

I really enjoyed knitting the Centerpointpopover. This is a very inventive construction and you know how I like that. I would recommend it.

Cheers and here’s hoping you are knitting something fun too. Deb

Any gauge and Gauge-Free knitting patterns by Deb

%d bloggers like this: